The deadline to submit a paper for potential publication in IDIOM Volume 13 is SUNDAY, JANUARY 6, 2019 (11:59 P.M.).
Those interested in submitting their work for consideration should complete the following three steps:
- Step One: Review the Submission Guidelines, 2018-2019 (below).
- Step Two: Download the Submission Form, 2018-2019.
- Step Three: Email your essay and a completed Submission Form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that a completed Essay Submission Form for 2018-19 MUST accompany all essay submissions.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES 2018-2019:
- The opportunity to submit an academic essay to IDIOM: English Undergraduate Academic Journal is open to any undergraduate student currently enrolled at the University of Toronto, on either the St. George, Mississauga, or Scarborough campus.
- The submission must be an original piece of academic work written for an ENG course (including JEF100) offered by the Department of English at UofT, or for any course cross-listed with English that would contribute to the completion of an English subject POSt, regardless of the year in which the course was completed.
- The page limit for publication is ten (10) pages per essay. Papers of up to fifteen (15) pages in length (Works Cited not included) may be submitted for consideration, though the Editorial Board strongly recommends that authors reduce the length of longer essays down to ten (10) pages (Works Cited not included) prior to submitting, if possible. Any authors who choose to submit longer essays must be aware that, if selected for publication, such essays may need to be shortened through substantial revisions during the editing process.
- The submission must be double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, with 1-inch margins. If the paper was initially submitted for a course with different formatting specifications, it must be reformatted in accordance with IDIOM guidelines prior to submission.
- The submission must abide by MLA citation style.
- Submissions must be digital copies in Microsoft Word document format (.doc or .docx). No hard copies will be accepted. Please do not send submissions via OneDrive, OpenOffice, PDF, etc.
- The author’s name or any other identifying information, including course code and professor’s name, may not appear anywhere on the essay itself, including the title page, headers, and/or footers. This is to ensure that all submissions appear anonymous when the Editorial Board reviews them and may therefore be evaluated within a standard of objectivity.
- Each author may submit up to two (2) essays to IDIOM per academic year, but the Editorial Board will not select more than one (1) essay by the same author for publication.
- A Submission Form, properly and completely filled out, must accompany each submitted essay. Authors who choose to submit a second essay must then complete and submit a second Submission Form.
- Email your essay to email@example.com. Submissions sent to any other email address—including any other IDIOM-related addresses—will not be considered.
- Editorial Board members may not submit their work for consideration.
Please remember to proofread your essay prior to submitting.
Any submission that does not adhere to the Submission Guidelines above may or may not still be eligible for consideration, at the discretion of the Editorial Board.